How to apply to a UK university for international students

How to apply to a UK university

This article about how to apply to a UK university for international students was published by the Great British Mag content team on 5, July 2019

There are several ways to apply to a UK university, but the three most common methods are to apply through UCAS, apply directly to the university, or apply via an education agent in your home country.

No matter how you choose to apply, be sure to submit your application during the period when universities are accepting application. UK universities do not accept applications all year round, so mark your calendar to avoid missing any important deadlines.

Apply through UCAS

The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) is a common way to apply to a British university. The majority of British universities accept applications through the service and for many it is the preferred method, especially for undergraduate applications.

Applying through UCAS is fairly straightforward. You will need to:

  • Register and create your application on the UCAS website
  • Apply to up to five programmes, at the same or different universities in the UK
  • Complete personal information
  • Include previous educational qualifications
  • Add financial information
  • Write a personal statement

Some universities may require additional tests such as the UCAT or BMAT for medicine, or the LNAT for law degrees.

You do not have to complete the entire process in one sitting. The UCAS website allows you to save drafts so that you can take your time on your application. Be sure to check when your chosen university is accepting applications.

Apply directly to your university

It may be possible to apply directly to your university through their website. Not all universities accept direct applications for all their programs, so be sure to check.

If your university accepts direct applications, they will specify what documents your application should contain. Each university will have their own requirements. However, you can expect to be asked for personal details such as your name, address and previous educational qualifications.

You will also have to submit a written personal statement explaining why you want to study at that university and why they should accept you.

Apply via an education agent

In Asia, Africa and the Middle East, it is very common for students to apply to UK universities via an education agent.

Education agents are professionals who live and work in your home country. They help you with the application process in a number of ways. They can advise you about which courses and universities you should apply to, how to write a British-style application, and how to manage other aspects of international student life such as visas and finding accommodation.

Some universities work with specific agents or agencies. If your chosen university prefers a specific agency, they will say so on their website. It is smart to use the education agency that your chosen university works with because that agency will be very familiar with how the university’s application process works.

If the university you want to apply to does not list any specific agents or agencies, you should contact them and ask if there are any education agents that they recommend. You can also search for education agents on the British Council’s Global Agents List.

Be careful when choosing an education agent; some are unscrupulous. You should make sure that an education agent is legitimate before paying them any money. Check if the agency is in compliance with the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), which helps UK universities to properly support and train agents.

Additional required documents

As an international student, you may be required to submit proof of your identity, academic history, and ability to speak English to the required level.

You may be asked to supply some or all of the following documents:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport or national identification card
  • Reference letters
  • Evidence of English competency (TOEFL, IELTS, C1 Advanced scores)
  • Copies of degree/diploma certificates
  • Academic transcripts