Why is strawberries & cream a traditional dessert at Wimbledon?
Strawberries & cream is a classic Wimbledon dessert ever since the tennis tournament started in 1877. Over the years the combination has got so popular that on average 10,000 litres of cream and 28,000 kg of strawberries are consumed every year during the two-week tournament! Can you imagine?
Thomas Wolsey, who was King Henry VIII’s right-hand man, first served strawberries & cream as a simple banquet dessert in 1509. It was a quick recipe as the ingredients were easy to find and the steps were straight-forward (as you can see from the video!) The dessert later became a dessert of choice when Wolsey hosted tennis matches at his palace. Eventually this tradition was passed down to Wimbledon.
Strawberries & cream is a pretty dessert that is absolutely delicious and you and oh so easy to make at home. Watch our video above to follow our recipe.
The ultimate strawberries & cream recipe (Serves 2 people)
- 20 strawberries
- 284ml double cream
- 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Knife & cutting board
- Bowl & whisk
- Ziploc bag
- Slice strawberries
- Pour double cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl.
- Whisk till cream thickens
- Put cream in a Ziploc bag and cut a hole.
- Layer strawberries and cream in glasses.
- Garnish with powdered sugar.